Before long we were talking about all our favorite Catholic things. It was a great conversation that gave me a moment truly to appreciate the richness and joy that my faith brings to our lives. I invite you to reflect on some of the same questions I asked the children, and see if your heart does not fill with gratitude for the abundant beauty and rich culture of our Catholic faith.
- Who is your favorite saint?
- What is your favorite Bible story? Parable? Psalm? Book of the Bible?
- What is your favorite Catholic hymn? Advent, Christmas, Lenten, and Easter hymn?
- What is your favorite liturgical season? Liturgical prayer or devotion – e.g. lighting the Advent wreath, Stations of the Cross, Corpus Christi procession?
- What is your favorite Holy Day? To which Mass throughout the year do you most look forward? What is your favorite Marian feast day?
- What is your favorite title for Jesus – e.g. Lamb of God, Prince of Peace, Bread of Life, Word Made Flesh, Emmanuel, Root of Jesse, Good Shepherd?
- What is your favorite title for Mary – e.g. Queen of Peace, Star of the Sea, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Ark of the Covenant, Mystical Rose, Morning Star?
- What is your favorite prayer? Favorite devotion? Favorite Icon?
- What is your favorite sacramental – e.g. ashes, holy water, rosary, blessed medals, scapular, candles, palm branches?
- What is your favorite Latin word or phrase – e.g. Mea culpa, Anima Christi, In saecula saeculorum, Angus Dei, Magnificat, Laudete, Gloria in excelsis Deo, Adeste Fidelis?
- What is your favorite Catholic gesture – e.g. Sign of the Cross, genuflecting, ashes on the forehead, striking the breast, sign of peace, prostration, washing of the feet?
- What are your favorite Catholic smells and sounds?
- What is your favorite religious habit – e.g. the black and white worn by the Domicans, the hooded gray habit of a Trappist monk, the blue and white of Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity?
- To which Catholic site would you most like to visit or make a pilgrimage?
I could go on, but, wow. We truly have a beautiful, captivating, vivid, engaging, and deep faith – a true treasure trove. How it embellishes our lives and spirits. It is great to be Catholic.